Location: Unit 18, Boxted Farm, Berkhamsted Road, Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom, HP1 2SG
Salary: £7 per hour in the first year, afterwards this will increase to the National Minimum Wage of £8.20 per hour.
Job Type: Full-time
APPRENTICE BREWER (Aspiring and ambitious young person)
Mad Squirrel brewery, is consistently one of the most innovative and contemporary SALSA accredited breweries in the south east, positioned near London and brewing on a sophisticated and modern brewing plant, is looking for a young ambitious individual who has perhaps completed their A-levels or equivalent and would prefer to acquire formally recognised qualifications while training on the job or alternatively an individual who has recently left university and is looking for an active career in the brewing industry. The role will report to the lead brewer and will pursue a training period for up to 24 months. The apprenticeship standard is set at level 4 (Equivalent educational level - foundation degree and above).
The candidate will be encouraged at a stage during the apprentice programme to study for their General Certificate in Brewing from the internationally recognised Institute of Brewing & Distilling. Furthermore, the apprentice will have the added benefit of receiving individual training by the Brewing Director whose experience and qualifications will assist greatly in improving the apprentice’s ability to pass both the apprenticeship and the IBD General certificate in Brewing.
Finally, the ultimate aim of an apprentice is to be become a fully qualified brewer, which is very much a fulfilling career for those individuals who enjoy creating flavours and styles, whether this is amateur brewing at home or the enjoyment of cooking and combining different flavours. However, the successful individual needs to be committed to both theoretical and physical work as brewing requires both in individual measures, therefore a good level of fitness is a perquisite for this position. Please refer to further details of the role and remuneration below together with the email address to apply. Closing date for all applications is on the 19th February 2021.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting in the day-to-day brewing and cleaning SOPs.
- Assisting packaging preparation and filling of a variety formats (Cask, Keg, Mini-keg, Cans).
- Maintenance and cleaning throughout the brewery (Brewhouse, Fermenters, Flooring etc.).
- Assist in management of ingredients/beer stock rotation.
- On/Off-load deliveries. • Rota weekend work in our Brewery Taproom will be required.
- A-Level or equivalent grades required.
- Flexible, highly motivated, a team player and willingness to learn.
- Strong discipline and good time keeping.
- Positive can-do attitude.
- Good communicator and interpersonal skills.
- Great attention to detail.
- Ability to follow procedures once trained.
- Commitment to develop within the company.
- Strong interest in Craft beer.
- Some experience in working at a brewery would be preferable but is not essential.
- Having a forklift licence is beneficial but not essential.
- The candidate will live locally or be willing to relocate.
- Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday from 07:00 to 15:00 (These can vary depending on the brewing schedule e.g., 05:00 – 13:00; 11:00 – 19:00, 14:00 – 22:00) and occasional weekend work.
- Hourly pay will be £7 per hour in the first year, afterwards this will increase to the National Minimum Wage of £8.20 per hour and is subject to government change.
- 20 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays.
- Monthly beer allowance.
- 15% discount off all tap rooms through membership card.
- 50% cash discount off Pizza and food plus membership points.
No application will be accepted if received after the 19th February 2021.
To apply please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.